MusicPlaylist

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Glass Candy

Portland Oregon has two of my favorite things. The first, is the best episode of 'Cops' I have ever seen took place in Portland in 1989 and the second is a band called 'Glass Candy'. Although their myspace may claim they're from Hustle Town, don't let that fool you. The duo features Ida No and Johnny Jewel. They are very much considered an internet phenom band that has gained a great deal of notoriety from the music blogs. They have also been reviewed by the coveted 'Pitchfork Media'.




Glass Candy features a unique post punk 80's infused electronic sound that reminds us what is possible rather then other possibilities. (think about it) I enjoy their sound because it has a nostalgic feeling that throws back to Studio 54 and images of Stevie Nicks, Blondie and Joan Jet flash in my mind. Although I never attended Studio 54 or years earlier Woodstock, I steel feel a deep connection to great music and excessive partying in any period. When I hear Glass Candy I think F. SCott Fitzgerald mixed with Brett Easton Ellis and an undertone of Nick Hornsby sarcasm. The recent studio albums from Glass Candy entitled 'Italians do it better' and 'Beat Box' have been a great success and has enabled Glass Candy to become a regular on Indie stages and clubs around the world. The Cinderella story of a band from Portland. Ida No steps up the mic with a great deal of presence and confidence that makes me wish I knew the secrets of the Incas and Johnny Jewel creates beats that shine brighter then the Lighthouse of Alexandria (one of Seven Wonders of the Ancient World). If Glass Candy were a car they would be the Ford Nucleon (show below).
Glass Candy -Streetlife

No comments:

Gonzales